New York-based photographer Vikram Pathak is a name held in high regard in the world of fashion and beauty photography. With more than 10 years into this stint, he has done shoots all over the world with reputed brands and famed celebrities, capturing their opulence inch perfect.
1) HOW WOULD YOU DISTINGUISH YOURSELF/ YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY STYLE FROM OTHER PHOTOGRAPHERS IN THE COUNTRY?
“‘Well, my style of photography has a lot of range. Right from being super edgy to shooting classic fashion on locations or in the studio. So I would say that my work is extremely versatile and I get bored doing the same thing so I keep changing.”
2) HOW DO YOU MANAGE TO DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT WITH CELEBRITIES WHO HAVE ALREADY BEEN PHOTOGRAPHED BY VARIOUS PHOTOGRAPHERS IN DIFFERENT WAYS?
“So its all about one’s energy, experience, instincts, vision, thought process, exposure to various cultures, personal image making techniques etc. and thats what makes one image-maker different from another.”
3) TELL US ABOUT A SHOOT THAT ABSOLUTELY DID NOT GO AS PLANNED/ WENT ABSOLUTELY HAYWIRE!
“We were scheduled to shoot for a local fashion magazine in New York and as we all know the weather is so unpredictable in NYC! The call time was 5 am and there were clear skies. All crew and models reached on time and were happy to be on set! We get ready and jump into our production van to go to the location to click the 1st shot of the day. All of a sudden it starts pouring , the art director of the magazine freaks out and my instinct was just to ask the driver to get us to Canal street and we bought 15 huge black umbrellas and used them as props and had the models carry them for the entire shoot and that’s what really made this shoot amazingly different! So, when something goes haywire we can always wire it the way we want.”
4) IS THERE SOMETHING YOU REALLY WANTED TO DO BUT STILL HAVEN’T GOT THE OPPORTUNITY TO?
“I would love to shoot a feature for Vogue Italia.”
5) WHO DID YOU LOVE WORKING WITH THE MOST?
“Again, I have been blessed to be working with amazing professionals who love what they do and I have never had a bad work day so I really can’t pick one. They were all great to work with.”
6) WHO ACCORDING TO YOU IS THE MOST PHOTOGENIC PERSON YOU HAVE PHOTOGRAPHED? / WHO WOULD YOU LOVE TO PHOTOGRAPH AND STILL HAVEN’T GOTTEN THE CHANCE TO?
“After shooting for so many years now the idea of people being photogenic has disappeared. I believe all of us are photogenic and it just takes that right person to be able to bring out the best and capture the moments. I would love to shoot with Lady Gaga.”
7) WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE PHOTOGRAPHING STYLE?
“From super edgy to classic work, I really don’t have one favourite style. I guess that makes me a chameleon, as my work changes all the time.”
8) IF NOT A PHOTOGRAPHER, WHAT WOULD YOU BE?
“Never thought of it until now but I have started directing videos. So yes, I would be a director.”
9) WHERE DO YOU SEEK INSPIRATION FROM?
“From designers, artists, music, locations, nature, people, books and I am a dreamer i.e. a field of all possibilities.”
10) TELL US THE THOUGHT BEHIND YOUR EXCLUSIVE COFFEE TABLE BOOK? WHAT MADE YOU COMPILE IT?
“All of my work is online or sitting in hard drives. Finally, I realised that it really does not satisfy me! So we had to go ahead and compile a book. I still love to touch and see at the same time.”
11) SURELY THE BOOK BRINGS BACK MANY MEMORIES, ANY IN PARTICULAR THAT YOU REMEMBER?
“After shooting for over 20 years now, all the shoots have been merged into one big party. But all the images in this book are from past 4 years and each time I look at them they make me relive those special moments.”
12) IF YOU COULD INVITE ANY 3 PEOPLE FOR A DREAM DINNER, WHO WOULD THEY BE?
“Dream dinner does not apply to me as I love being with my friends and family and wherever we are is a dream come true. But is it possible to be a part of the last supper and invite Allah and Krishna?”