THE GAME CHANGER – ANJULA ACHARIA
1. YOU JUGGLE MULTIPLE ROLES. WHAT IS A TYPICAL DAY IN YOUR LIFE LIKE?
“I’m either on the phone or in meetings. A lot of my role, whichever way you look at it, is collaborating with people and entities. So it’s social In many ways!”
2. INVESTOR AND CELEBRITY MANAGER. NEEDLESS TO SAY, YOU HAVE A HANDFUL ON YOUR PLATE. WHAT PART OF YOUR JOB KEEPS YOU MOTIVATED AND EXCITED?
“All of it! I love the duality of my work flirting between Hollywood and Silicon Valley. For me, it’s all about finding talent (whether that’s a rock star or a “tech star” ) helping to grow a seed to allow that talent to shine!”
3. YOU ARE MANAGING A MASSIVE BOLLYWOOD STAR IN HOLLYWOOD WHERE NOT MANY PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THE GRAVITY ASSOCIATED WITH HER NAME. WHAT IS THE EXPERIENCE LIKE? WHAT WERE SOME CHALLENGES YOU HAD TO FACE AND WHAT ARE SOME ACHIEVEMENTS THAT YOU ARE PROUD ABOUT?
“The beauty of Priyanka Chopra is that when she walks into a room she is undeniable. So once I’d convinced someone to look beyond America and understand the opportunity of a global market the proposition of Priyanka became logical. I think I’m most proud of choosing her as the “right” talent to work with. I knew I had this opportunity to expand someone from India to work in the US and I’m just so glad I chose right!! There were many reasons I identified Priyanka as the right person to convince to go on this journey with me (which was basically to change the face of American pop culture for Indians!!). In large part it was her western sensibility and and her unique talents. She is a triple threat!”
4. YOU ARE CONSIDERED TO BE ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTORS THAT CONTRIBUTED TOWARDS PRIYANKA CHOPRA’S SUCCESS. WHAT DO YOU THINK REALLY MADE HER WHAT SHE IS RIGHT NOW?
“Who she is. Her ability to move effortlessly between cultures is why she is successful. Also, her drive and her talent. We are a team and teamwork is everything. She is collaborative and knows her own mind so it’s also stimulating to work with someone like that who challenges you to do your best work. I manage Priyanka but we are ultimately business partners and we work collaboratively that makes it work. She’s so smart and also a lot of fun to work with.”
5. PRIYANKA CHOPRA’S PATH-BREAKING DEBUT WITH QUANTICO BROKE A LOT OF ‘INDIAN GIRL STEREOTYPES’. DOES THIS ALSO GIVE YOU A SENSE OF ACHIEVEMENT AT SOME LEVEL?
“Absolutely!!!! I did this to do that!! I have a major issue with stereotypes because they tell a singular story. If the only story in western pop culture about our people is a gross over exaggerated stereotype, thats a problem, because the perception of us is only that. My whole purpose was to change that and Priyanka wholeheartedly felt the same way so we were aligned on that from the start.”
6. IS THERE ANYTHING YOU WISH YOU DID DIFFERENTLY?
“I always challenge myself to do better, so yeah. It’s been hard juggling an international talent!”
7. WHAT IS NEXT?
8. WHAT TECHNOLOGY/ APP CAN YOU NOT LIVE WITHOUT?
“I’m addicted to WhatsApp!! Isn’t everyone? Can’t live without it.”
9. IF NOT A CELEBRITY MANAGER/ ANGEL INVESTOR, WHAT WOULD YOU BE?
“Brain surgeon. Would really like to save lives and operate for free around the world.”
10. ANY OTHER BOLLYWOOD ACTOR YOU THINK SHOULD GIVE INTERNATIONAL CINEMA A SHOT?
“Hahahah! That’s a good question. You tell me?”
11. ANY BOLLYWOOD ACTOR YOU THINK SHOULD’VE NEVER TRIED INTERNATIONAL CINEMA?
“That’s mean!!! I can’t answer that !”
12. DO YOU KEEP UP WITH BOLLYWOOD MOVIES? ONE RECENT MOVIE YOU PARTICULARLY LOVE?
“Last one I watched was Padmaavat! But the movie I love the most is Barfi – one of the most magical movies ever.”
13. FAVOURITE CITY IN THE WORLD?
“Rome silly !”
14. WHAT’S NEXT ON YOUR BUCKET LIST?
15. WHAT WOULD WE FIND YOU DOING IN YOUR LEISURE TIME?
“Hanging out with friends and family – good conversation is everything! I’m an avid Bollywood dancer, you will always find me on the dance floor at a party.”