Popular for her Midas touch, Aparna Reddy, fondly known as Pinky Reddy is a woman who has been a groundbreaking trailblazer in every role she has adapted. Although she humbly badges the title of a ‘homemaker’ with pride, her work as an accomplished entrepreneur and philanthropist will leave you astounded. With a business management degree from Harvard University and a family comprising of iconic industrialists and politicians, Reddy was tailor-made for the mantle she deservingly holds. Having leadership quality instilled in her from a very young age, Aparna Reddy was always meant to lead from the front. Amongst her many charitable associations and business ventures, her constant affiliation with art has brought in a positive change, as she relentlessly worked towards reviving dying art forms.
Her organization, The Lotus Foundation has been restoring art forms and artisans that were dissipating from the rich and heritable culture. The reinvigoration of art led to the idea of opening a one-of-a-kind museum at the iconic Mumbai International Airport. Causes that benefit women, children and elderly have always been her foremost priority. With her recent appointment as the National President of the FICCI Ladies Organization, she intends on creating equal opportunities and accessible mediums for women in need. Pinky being the descendant of political powerhouse T. Subarrami Reddy and the wife of business magnate Sanjay Reddy still managed to solidify her individual identity in the society. The woman’s onward vision and an endless list of achievements have made her a force to be reckoned with. Her personal style is a reflection of her infectious aura and her magnetic personality which she adorns with impeccable stride.
1) HAILING FROM A POWERFUL LINEAGE OF INDUSTRIALISTS AND POLITICIANS, HOW DID YOU MANAGE TO MANAGE TO CREATE AN INDIVIDUAL IDENTITY FOR YOURSELF IN THE BUSINESS AND PHILANTHROPIC WORLD?
“I, myself am surprised about how I managed to create my individual identity. I was born to a well-known family and married into one that was a good foundation for me. Maybe it’s my good luck that works for me; hence people think I am a lucky charm and call me for inaugurations and openings.”
2) SINCE YOU WERE KEY DESIGN ADVISOR FOR THE FORMIDABLE MUMBAI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, TELL US MORE ABOUT THE DESIGN IDEOLOGY BEHIND THE ICONIC TERMINAL 2?
“I can not take the design credit as it was my husband Sanjay Reddy’s project. His was the creative mind behind it; he had a huge team working on it. There were a lot of people who worked on it, and I was one of them. It was a great experience to be working with them.”
3) YOU’VE BEEN ACTIVELY INVOLVED IN PHILANTHROPIC WORK OVER THE YEARS, WHAT ARE THE CAUSES CLOSE TO YOUR HEART AND WHAT DOES THE ‘APARNA FOUNDATION’ STAND FOR?
“For me personally, causes related to children old people are really important. I do a lot of work for children’s education and elderlies with health and other kinds of troubles. Aparna Foundation supports such causes.”
4) RECENTLY BEING NAMED AS THE PRESIDENT OF FICCI LADIES ORGANIZATION (FEDERATION OF INDIAN CHAMBER OF COMMERCE & INDUSTRY), WHAT KIND OF VISION DO YOU HAVE FOR WOMEN IN INDIA?
“I feel it is very important for women today to be independent and confident without being arrogant about it and that’s the kind of vision I have for them. Girls today are extremely creative, competitive and passionate, which is the right way to go about it.”
5) YOUR AFFILIATION WITH ART AND FASHION HAS BEEN PROMINENT. HOW WOULD YOU DEFINE YOUR PERSONAL STYLE?
“I think my personal style is a reflection of my personality. It depends on my mood, where I’m going and who am I meeting. I dress according to the situation. If it’s a serious occasion, I will be a dressed a little more formal than I will to a beach or an informal get-together.”
6) YOU’RE KNOWN FOR YOUR TIMELESS COUTURE COLLECTION, HOW DO YOU MAKE YOUR COUTURE CHOICES?
“Whatever I feel will look good on me, I take it. I do not follow trends or ape others. It is basically about what suits me and goes with my personality.”
7) WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE PART OF THE MUMBAI AIRPORT?
“Every part is amazing. For me, I have a story for every corner as I was so involved with the entire process. My husband Sanjay really pulled me into it and I really appreciate that. I think if I had to pick one place, I’d say the lounge, as no airport so far has such an amazing lounge.”
8) HOW DO YOU MANAGE TO STRIKE A BALANCE BETWEEN YOUR PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL LIFE?
“One needs to have a balance in life that is very important. I don’t know how I do it, but I manage pretty well. For me everything is important. Whether it’s my peon’s daughter’s wedding or any happening wedding abroad, I will go for both as they are equally important to me.”
9) WHAT HAS BEEN THE BIGGEST ACHIEVEMENT OF YOUR LIFE?
“I think where I am in life right now is my achievement, God has been too kind. It’s all God’s gift and I just happened to be at the right place at the right time.”
10) WHAT’S NEXT FOR YOU?
“I don’t know, I am not really a planner, so whatever comes next I’ll take it along as it comes.”
Photographer – Sanjeev Kumar
Make Up by – Vibha Gusain
Jewellery – Gehna Jewellers