DETOX (short for detoxification) refers to a pathway that processes unwanted substances. It involves a series of reactions, mainly in our liver that process toxins. They are then transported to organs like the gut and kidneys (urine/stool) so that they can be excreted from the body. This is happening 24/7.
Common sources of toxins:
1. Diet – Preservatives, colours, pesticides, medications (not vitamins), pollutants in water, high-temperature cooking, food processing, bacteria, alcohol.
2. Environment – Air pollution, cigarette smoke (including passive).
Nutrients which take part in the process:
– Protein/Amino acids (Eg., methionine, cysteine, glutamine).
– Vit B complex.
– Vit A/C/E (leafy greens, nuts, kiwi, guava, yellow/orange vegetables)
– Minerals: copper, zinc, calcium, magnesium, iron, selenium (seeds, nuts, dairy, eggs, mushrooms, dark chocolate).
– Sulforaphane (Cruciferous veg like cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower).
– Others: garlic, onion, turmeric, lemon, ginger, cumin seeds, fennel, carom seeds, olives, bell peppers, cinnamon, probiotics, curry leaves, mustard leaves, green tea, water.
– Drink enough water to ensure your urine stays a pale yellow. Add lemon wedges.
– Include vegetables, seeds, nuts in your diet.
– Season well with spices.
– Get enough 1st class proteins from non-veg/dairy (detox enzymes are proteins). Opt for organic sources.
– Eat home-cooked food, cut down on preservatives.
– Don’t pop pills (medications) randomly. They load the liver/kidney.
– Take a bowl of fresh curd and a multivitamin daily.
– Quit or minimize alcohol/smoking.
– Sleep well: The brain detoxes during sleep.
– Sweet tooth: Dark chocolate > 85%.
– Exercise to boost circulation and hasten elimination.
Don’t fall for the alkaline diet gimmicks. Your body will manage its pH just fine if you keep these pointers in mind!